POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Geometrical Problem : Geometrical Problem Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Geometrical Problem
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 6 Oct 2007 17:28:08
Message: <4707fde8@news.povray.org>
High!

After a six-week break, I returned to my self portrait project... as I
firstly try to do a "cheap" (in terms of rendering time) CSG version, I
started with a "skull ellipsoid" to which I would like to add face with
upper jaw and an animatable mandible, as displayed in the three
schematical drawings below.

The radii of the "skull ellipsoid" (centered at the origin) are as
follows: <0.115, 0.108, 0.138>

To fit the front parts in, I vertically sliced off the skull shell at
z=-0.097. Now I have to determine the width of the cut surface at y=0.
With a non-stretched sphere, that would be easy:
sqrt(radius^2-0.097^2)*2*radius - but how to transfer this to an
ellipsoid? To determine the exact radius length at the intersection of x
axis, cutoff box and ellipsoid, I would have to know its angle with the
z axis...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'schaedelkonstruktion_grob_seitlich.png' (43 KB) Download 'schaedelkonstruktion_grob_frontal.png' (48 KB) Download 'schaedelkonstruktion_grob_aufsicht.png' (5 KB)

Preview of image 'schaedelkonstruktion_grob_seitlich.png'
schaedelkonstruktion_grob_seitlich.png

Preview of image 'schaedelkonstruktion_grob_frontal.png'
schaedelkonstruktion_grob_frontal.png

Preview of image 'schaedelkonstruktion_grob_aufsicht.png'
schaedelkonstruktion_grob_aufsicht.png